Archive for May, 2019

DOLLARD-DES-ORMEAUX – A kids football team said it has been unfairly targeted after it had to forfeit four games due to a post-game weight check.

The atom-level Sunnybrooke Chiefs were enjoying a 4-1 season, winning its last game against the Châteauguay Raiders 42-0.

Afterwards, coaches said their season unravelled due to what they claim was an unfair complaint by their opponent.

“They asked us to look over the registration papers,” said coach Bryan Spence.

“There was a clerical error made by the registrars.”

That error listed the weight of nine-year-old running back Shekai Mills Knight at 111 lbs. –  just one pound over the threshold to be eligible to carry the ball or play defence.

According to his mother, Mills Knight’s real weight is 101 lb. and it had been recorded incorrectly at the weigh in.

“All of a sudden, they want to look at our contracts,” said Earl Foronda, Sunnybrooke Park director.

“We play five games and there’s no problem.”

What does regulations, weight or eligibility mean to a nine-year-old child?

“Well, there’s no point in playing when I lost my position…so, I don’t know,” Mills Knight told Global News.

Story continues below

HangZhou Night Net

It’s an especially heavy blow to the team, because he also plays middle linebacker.

“I didn’t want him to play. But he asked me ‘give me a chance,’” said Nesta Mills, the boy’s mother.

“I didn’t want to give him a chance, but it turns out he loves it.”

Châteauguay coaching staff refused an interview with Global News.

They’re contention is that the league enforces the rules, not the teams, and the weight rules exist for safety reasons.

According to Jean-Charles Meffe, Executive Director of Football Quebec, teams are responsible for making sure clerical errors don’t exist on their rosters.

An appeal has been lodged with the federation that governs the leagues.

A decision is expected later this week.

©2015

What a difference a debate makes: Republican presidential hopeful Carly Fiorina has seen a major bump in support following last week’s CNN debate and now sits second, behind front-runner Donald Trump.

Story continues below

HangZhou Night Net

Related

  • Donald Trump brushes aside criticism over remarks he made about Carly Fiorina’s face

  • GOP candidates debate Russia, immigration and Trump

  • Donald Trump in the Republican presidential debate: How did he do?

The former Hewlett-Packard CEO and the sole woman in the race for the Republican nomination saw a 12-percentage-point jump in support, rising from 3 per cent support before the debate to 15 per cent, according to a national CNN/ORC poll released Monday.

The poll of Republican and Republican-leaning voters was conducted between Sept. 17 to 19, the three days following the debate.

READ MORE: What you need to know about GOP debate star Carly Fiorina

The increased show of support can be attributed in part to her strong performance and her show of force against outspoken Trump, who dropped to 24 per cent support from 32 per cent in the previous CNN/ORC poll conducted between Sept. 4 to 8.

But it was also Fiorina’s first time speaking to a primetime audience, having been at the earlier debate for less popular candidates in the last round. The primetime CNN debate was watched by 23 million people, while Fiorina’s showing in the so-called “Happy Hour” debate on Aug. 6 was viewed by just six million people.

Fiorina’s rise also came as Ben Carson, securely in second place going into the debate, faltered.

READ MORE: Muslim shouldn’t be president, says Republican presidential hopeful Ben Carson

The former neurosurgeon dropped from 19 per cent in the earlier CNN/ORC survey to 14 per cent — one point below Fiorina — after what many saw as a weak performance in his second debate.

Rounding out the top four candidates, those with double-digit support, is Florida Sen. Marco Rubio, who was also seen as one of the more formidable performers on the stage last Wednesday at the Ronald Reagan Presidential Library, in Simi Valley, California.

Fact-checking Fiorina

Being in the spotlight is also puts Fiorina’s credentials and beliefs under the microscope. Now that she’s seen as a serious contender in the race, although primary and caucus season doesn’t get underway until February and it’s still another 413 days until Election Day, her comments are subject to much more scrutiny.

Two comments she made during the debate have been debunked, although her right-wing base may not see it that way.

Taking on a personal tone, Fiorina discussed the 2009 death of her stepdaughter, Lori Ann, who struggled with substance abuse and bulimia.

“We must invest more in the treatment of drugs. I agree with Sen. [Rand] Paul. I agree with states’ rights. But, we are misleading young people when we tell them that marijuana is just like having a beer. It’s not.”

But as the Washington Post. later reported, a 2010 study published in the widely respected medical journal The Lancet found marijuana is less dangerous than harder drugs and even alcohol.

READ MORE: Donald Trump’s 桑拿会所 Q&A #AskTrump backfires in hilarious fashion

The second comment to stoke controversy was one the 61-year-old candidate made about Planned Parenthood and a series of undercover videos purporting to show doctors discussing the sale of fetal tissue for profit and which fuelled a successful Republican-led Congressional vote to defund the organization for one year.

“Anyone who has watched this videotape, I dare Hillary Clinton, Barack Obama to watch these tapes. Watch a fully formed fetus on the table, its heart beating, its legs kicking while someone says we have to keep it alive to harvest its brain,” Fiorina said during the debate.

The series of videos she was referring to were put out by an anti-abortion group called the Center for Medical Progress.

READ MORE: 4 things to know about an anti-abortion group’s Planned Parenthood videos

The videos (even the ones claimed to be unedited) are manipulated. But the footage Fiorina described was not taken during the Planned Parenthood stings and its circumstances surrounding it are in question.

“The Center for Medical Progress says the source of the footage is the Grantham Collection, an organization that hopes to stem abortion by promoting graphic images of the procedure. We don’t know the circumstances behind this video: where it came from, under what conditions it was obtained, or even if this fetus was actually aborted (as opposed to a premature birth or miscarriage).”

Planned Parenthood, an organization the provides abortions as well as sexual and women’s health care, including cancer screening, does collect and provide fetal tissue for research. But, it can only legally receive minimal money for costs associated with the collection, storage and transport of the materials.

There’s also the question the sale of HP printers to Iran while Fiorina was at the helm of the Fortune 500 company and while U.S. companies were prohibited from doing trade with the Islamic Republic.

Appearing on Fox News Sunday, she said she had no knowledge of the sale because it was a third-party company that was responsible for the deal.

Fiorina, on the campaign trail, has been critical of the deal the Obama administration struck to ease sanctions on Iran in exchange for the Iranian government curbing its nuclear ambitions and opening up to international inspections.

Follow @nick_logan

©2015

Republican presidential candidate Donald Trump took to 桑拿会所 Monday to host a question and answer session, and it appears it didn’t go so well.

“#AskTrump Send me your questions to answer live from @桑拿会所NYC later this afternoon,” Trump tweeted.

It didn’t take long for the hashtag to begin to trend worldwide.

Some social media users used the time to ask Trump more serious questions, which he responded to.

While others took the time to call Trump out on past controversial comments or to poke fun at the GOP candidate with ridiculous questions.

Here’s a look:

HangZhou Night Net

©2015

EDMONTON — One positive moment; that’s what teacher Dan Scratch hopes to document each and every day of this school year.

Scratch teaches at Inner City High School in Edmonton. The school, which sits north of the city’s downtown, is a not-for-profit that provides educational programming outside a traditional high school environment to high-risk youth, or, as Scratch describes them, “at-promise youth.”

Story continues below

HangZhou Night Net

“It started off with a conversation I had with a few other educators who teach in similar environments in different cities,” said Scratch, a social studies teacher. “We talked about how we’re constantly talking about the negative stereotypes our schools receive in the public, what an inner city school is traditionally like.

“We wanted to kind of break that narrative and talk about some of the more positive things students do here.

“What are some stories of individual students doing great things in their lives? Overcoming the barriers they’re overcoming and just what we do here at Inner City that makes us unique compared to most traditional schools.”

“Just coming to school, for a lot of students, is a huge success,” added Scratch. “They value education, they want to come to school to better improve their lives and give a positive life for themselves. I wanted to honour that with our students and show the greater public, if we could, that these students have so much to offer the community.”

So, Scratch started an Instagram account to do just that.

“I wanted to tell a story through pictures because I think it has more of an emotional appeal to people when they see a picture of a student working hard in class, or they see a picture of staff coming together to put on this program for students.”

The @innercityhigh Instagram account will feature one positive moment in the class or school every school day this year. The students have total creative control over the photos. They even get to edit the caption and choose the filter used.

“They’re getting really into it,” said Scratch. “Each day, they’re asking, ‘how many likes did it get?’ that kind of thing.

“It’s a nice thing to see. When people comment on the photo, I tell them the positive feedback there. It’s a little uplifting, and it’s nice for them to hear those kinds of stories.”

He has also created a project on Make Something Edmonton called ‘One Positive Moment.’ He hopes the project will encourage more people to check out the Instagram account, follow the class’ progress, and include the students in any community events or initiatives they think would be a good match.

In a blog post, Scratch explained further why he decided to start the Instagram account.

“I want to show people that my students are not just victims of a society that has neglected and abandoned them, but that they are positive community members, philosophers, artists, gardeners, and some of the most caring and compassionate students I’ve ever worked with,” he wrote.

Check out the Inner City High Instagram account here.

Follow @Emily_Mertz

©2015

CALGARY – Bank of Canada governor Stephen Poloz spoke to a Calgary audience on Monday afternoon, saying dropping commodity prices should not deter long-term investments in the resource sector.

The head of the central bank delivered the keynote address at Calgary Economic Development’s 2016 Economic Outlook.

Poloz said investment decisions made years ago by players in the commodities sectors were no mistake, even though prices have dipped in recent months.

Story continues below

HangZhou Night Net

Poloz’s address reminded its audience how the Canadian economy had benefited significantly in recent years from rising commodity prices. As an example, he highlighted how the price of copper had tripled while oil and nickel doubled between 2008 and 2010.

“We shouldn’t ignore the resources that we have been blessed with,” Poloz said. “Without those investments (years ago), we would never have been able to capitalize on the higher prices, which boosted Canada’s aggregate income.”

The event marked Poloz’s first public speaking engagement in Calgary since his appointment in 2013.

Take Our Poll

His speech comes on the heels of a difficult period for the economy, which contracted over the first two quarters of 2015 and pushed Canada into a technical recession.

The steep drop in the price of crude oil, which closed just below US$47 a barrel Monday after falling from a high of US$107 last year, has been slapped with much of the blame for the shrinking economy. The economy has also been hindered by slower than predicted rebounds in other sectors.

As a result, the oil-price shock forced experts, including the Bank of Canada, to downgrade growth projections for the country.

The gloomier economic conditions have also become a focal point for much political debate in the current federal election campaign.

Business leaders in the oil industry told the central bank earlier this year they would be cutting investments by about 40 per cent because of the steep price drop, which has not recovered as quickly as anticipated, Poloz said.

He added that in recent weeks these companies were still revising their longer-term forecasts for the price of oil.

The resource sector, he said, is still adjusting to the tougher conditions – a process he believes will take “considerable time.”

None of the volatility, however, should deter Canadians from continuing to seek benefits from the country’s resources, Poloz said.

“We’ve adjusted to rising prices – we can adjust to falling ones,” Poloz said in the speech being delivered in a province where, he noted, resources make up more than a quarter of economy.

“While an abundance of raw materials may complicate the management of companies and the conduct of economic policy, it’s far better for a country to have resources than not to have them.”

“Even when prices are falling, as they have been recently, our endowment represents a store of value and a source of future riches.”

Other speakers at the event included Calgary Mayor Naheed Nenshi, ATB Financial chief economist Todd Hirsch and Conference Board of Canada Chief Economist Glen Hodgson.

With files from Global News reporter Melissa Ramsay

©2015